• @TheMillwallFans
  • @TheMillwallFans
  • YouTube
  • White Snapchat Icon


0843 289 8382


℅ The Den, Zampa Road,

Greater London, SE16 3LN

©2019 Millwall Supporters' Club.

MATCH REPORT: Millwall 0-2 Sheffield United

January 25, 2020

Written by:


Razor sharp Blades  see Millwall exit the  FA Cup

A dominating and efficient display from the away side saw the Premier League progress to the next round of the most famous cup competition in the world.


With an energetic home crowd behind them, it was the Lions who had the first chance of the tie when Matt Smith disposed the back line in the 4th minute, but his decision to hit an effort from distance resulted in his shot going high and wide.


In the 7th minute, Sheffield United had their own chance to take the lead, but Besic's left foot effort from the edge of the penalty area went just wide of Bialkowski's near post.


Millwall had a golden chance only one minute later when Aiden O'Brien brilliantly read the flight of the ball and was through on goal, however his curling effort on the edge of the area was easily saved by Henderson.  There is an argument that the ball could have been squared to Smith who was in a more central position, but either way, the Republic of Ireland international should have done better.


The game was a backwards and forwards affair in the middle of the park, but it was The Blades who were questioning why they didn't take the lead themselves in the 22nd minute.  Billy Sharp expertly rounded Bialkowski and looked to simply place the ball into the back of the Millwall goal, but young defender James Brown made his way back onto the goal line to clear at the last minute.


Aside from a Phil Jagielka header from a corner in the 39th minute, this proved to be the last real chance of the half and the opening 45 minutes ended goalless.


The Lions were putting up a good fight in this one, but it was Chris Wilder's side who were beginning to dominate and this pressure finally paid off in the 62nd minute when they took the lead from Besic.  When the impenetrable Lions defence switched off for the smallest split of seconds, Besic saw an opening and beautifully curled his effort past Bialkowski into the bottom corner to make the score line 0-1.


Gary Rowett made some changes to try and inject some more action from his side, and although Jed Wallace has been the catalyst for Millwall's recent successes, the wide man just could not get the clinical cross in and the closest The Lions came to equalising was when Bodvarsson could only divert Wallace's low cross wide at the near post in the 79th minute.


The tie was over and buried in the 84th minute when Norwood picked up the ball in the Millwall half and placed it perfectly past Bialkowski and into the bottom corner in front of the away fans.


There were a couple of half chance for the Yorkshire side to extend their lead, but Millwall managed to keep the score line at just two.  The final whistle sounded and no-one in the home stands could deny that the South London side were beaten by the better team.


Although disappointed to be out of the cup at an earlier stage than previous years, but all attention now turns to Elland Road where we face second place Leeds United.



Millwall: Bialkowski, M. Wallace, Cooper, Smith (Bodvarsson 71'), Ferguson (Bradshaw 71'), Pearce, Molumby, Brown, Mahoney (J. Wallace 73'), O'Brien, Mitchell.


Subs not used: Sandford, Hutchinson, Romeo, Skalak.



Sheffield United: Henderson, O'Connell, Basham, L. Freeman (J. Robinson 80'), Sharp, C. Robinson (Clarke 67'), Jagielka, Norwood, K. Freeman, Osborn, Besic.


Subs not used: Verrips, Lundstram, McBurnie, Egan, Morrison.

Please reload